Seminole County Public Schools (SCPS) believes in the importance of exploration and application of knowledge, outside the classroom walls. Available below is a list of field trips we provide our SCPS students that we encourage them to participate in and learn from, throughout the school year.
School Administration reserves the right to make the final decision for chaperone selection.
All school field trips are considered extensions of the school day. They serve an academic purpose. Therefore the following rules apply for all field trip chaperones:
- ALL chaperones must be 21 years of age.
- All chaperones must attend chaperone training conducted by each school for which a person is serving as a chaperone.
- All chaperones must dress appropriately.
- Children or other family members of a chaperone are not permitted to participate in a field trip unless the child is part of the group going on a given field trip.
- Chaperones must be in actual supervision of all children assigned to them at all times. Students are not permitted to go off on their own.
- Get to know the students in our group. Make the trip a great experience for everyone in the group.
- Follow the planned timeline and itinerary. Be sure your group is in the right place at the right time.
- Accompany your students to the restroom area. The entire group must stay together at all times. Never permit students to leave your group.
- Chaperones are not permitted to use tobacco products of any kind or consume alcoholic beverages during a field trip, regardless of whetherstudents are present or not present.
- Do not use profane or inappropriate language.
- Do not buy drinks, snacks, treats or souvenirs for your group unless it has been planned as part of the trip.
- Do not ask other chaperones to supervise your group.
- Do not use cell phones except for emergency purposes.
- In an emergency, always contact the lead teacher first. In an EXTREME emergency, call 911. Always remain calm.
- Chaperones are required to immediately report suspected child abuse to the DCF hotline 1.800.962.2873 and suspected or known abuse by a school board employee or other chaperone to law enforcement (Seminole County Sheriff’s Department.) Failure to immediately report may subject a chaperone to criminal prosecution. Reporting to the field trip sponsor or school administrator alone does not satisfy the requirements of the law.
- Parent/siblings are not permitted to join a field trip at its destination. Only parents who qualify as a volunteer chaperone are permitted to participate in a school-sanctioned field trip.
- Parent or student relatives who are not chaperones or student participants in a field trip will not be permitted to join a field trip at its destination unless they are approved Dividends and are to be assigned a specific group of students in addition to their child/relative to supervise.
If Dividend volunteer is asked to drive their own car, (which is not encouraged) each school must submit a Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles'MSMV 73901 form for them. The school will send the form to Tallahassee. Volunteers transporting student(s) in a private vehicle must show proof that they have adequate personal injury protection, medical payments, and automobile liability insurance and receive approval prior to the field trip. Adequate protection is:
- Non-deductible PIP coverage in the amount of $10,000.00
- Automobile liability insurance at a minimum of $100,000/$200,000
All Dividend volunteers, including field trip chaperones must complete an onlineDividend application and re-activate annually. Access the application here.
ALL OVERNIGHT FIELD TRIP CHAPERONES MUST BE FINGERPRINTED. Fingerprinting is offered Monday-Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 12 p.m and 2 p.m. to 4 p.m.at the SCPS Educational Support Center, 400 E. Lake Mary Boulevard, Sanford. Please allow 7 days to process the fingerprinting process.
For additional information, please contact your selected school or the Dividends School Volunteer Program at 407.320.0178.
Seminole County Public Schools,
400 E. Lake Mary Boulevard,
Sanford, Fl 32773-7127